Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Stouts, McCrorys, Youngs.....

There's a 2-story stone house in Howard with the word "Stout" on it.  Sits on the south side of Hwy 50 - hard to miss as you drive by.

Over 300 years ago, Richard Stout, who lived in New Jersey, had several children, among them 2 sons, Peter and David.

Peter's 5th gr granddaughter was Cora Stout, married to Benton McCrory and they owned the land where the Cotopaxi Texaco Station and the Cotopaxi Store were in the 70s.  They built the house next to the gas station about 1912.  Their son, Dal, had the Texaco Station.

David's 5th gr grandson was Harry Moore, a factory worker in Anderson, Indiana.  His son, Leon Moore was driving through the mountains in Colorado, happened to stop in Cotopaxi, saw the Texaco Station was for sale and bought it about 1973.

My parents bought and lived in the house that their very distant, distant cousins had built.

What are the chances????  I know that dad never knew this.

Yes, my brother, Nelson Moore, and I and our siblings are distant cousins to all the Young/McCrory/Stout's who live in the area.

Who knew???

I've created a tree showing just the 2 lines and how they descend to today.  If you fit in the tree, I'd love to hear from you!!!  Sort of gives new meaning of the history of Cotopaxi to me!  I had absolutely no idea about any of this when I first started researching the Jewish Colony that was in Cotopaxi in 1882.  These are merely those who were living in the area when the Colonists arrived there.


So we are 9th cousins once removed to the current generation....B, T & K Young in Cotopaxi.

I wish I had done this tree in the 70s when dad was still living.  Lesson learned - when you see a house with a name on it that you recognize, take the time to do the research and find out if it's someone related to you.  This house is 1200 miles away from where we grew up.

The chances of dad buying a place that was built by distant cousins.....astronomical!!!

*****
 c2016.  All content is copyright protected and may not be copied, reproduced, reused or reposted in any manner without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment